Advantages and Disadvantages of Virtual Teams in Digital Environment Today
Adaption of working using a virtual workplace has become a significant trend in business. A virtual team is defined as members that are dispersed, either geographically or organizationally, with their primary communication through electronic means, as opposed to face-to-face
communication. Management concepts of virtual teams can also be utilized within a more traditional workplace. Virtual team usage was implemented more rapidly due to the COVID-19 pandemic and has become a more recent trend in today’s marketplace. Virtual Teams allow team members to communicate by computer.
There are a few advantages of the Virtual team. One advantage is that virtual teams allow workplaces to save time and money. This is primarily because different regions can communicate and apps, therefore eliminating travel. Apps such as Zoom, Skype, and WhatsApp have simplified the virtual team process. Zoom became popular during the pandemic. Zoom’s main selling point is accessible, 40-minute conference calls with up to 100 attendees. It’s easy to use, and no login is needed to access a meeting.
Another advantage of virtual teams is that gaining knowledge from experts by clicking a button is another advantage of virtual teams. Virtual teamwork allows expert opinion to be
quickly achieved even if the experts are far away. Particular specialists and issues can be discussed via computer instead of face-to-face interaction, which saves time for the organization or individuals. Lastly, virtual teams also allow team members to respond faster. Virtual teamwork enables the team to respond quickly reacts market demand.
There are a few disadvantages to virtual teams. Two disadvantages of virtual teams are a lack of trust and synergies. Their lack of face-to-face interaction results in a lack of confidence in one another. Social interaction is vital for human development and comfort. Social interaction is essential for health, wellness, and staying connected with society. Social interaction helps in avoiding cognitive health problems.
Lack of synergies is also a fact of virtual teams. In an office setting, it is much easier to collaborate with team members and complete tasks more effectively. In a virtual team setting, managers cannot physically control the day-to-day activities and monitor each team member’s actions. This affects the leadership style of managers.
There are ten basic principles to follow to implement a successful virtual team. First and foremost, it is to get the team together physically early on. The second principle is to clarify tasks and processes. This also cannot be done just as goals and roles without explanation. The third principle is to get all virtual managers to get their team on the same team, objectives, functions, and responsibilities. The fourth and fifth principles are communication. Communication is the only way that virtual teams can operate and succeed. Investing in the best communication technologies will allow an organization to communicate properly and effectively. Communication must be apparent. The virtual team must be able to share workplaces virtually and use video conference tools. The sixth principle is to agree on a shared language, although virtual teams may be diverse. The seventh principle is to allow break time virtually, where co-workers meet by the cafe for a coffee on break; this includes two fifteen-minute holidays within the work day. The eighth principle is to track and audit tasks to hold accountability for the virtual team. The ninth principle is to allow leeway for shared leadership. This will push the team and keep the virtual team motivated, focused, and productive. The last code is one-to-one coaching for team members to ensure they are aware of their progress.
Technical issues may affect the work of a virtual team. A virtual team is focused and based on the computer. If there are internet issues for the team members, they may be unable to keep up with their roles and job functions. Implementing a system that may assist with downtime due to technical issues might be a part of risk mitigation for virtual teams. Another advantage is that team members can work from different time zones and make progress throughout the 24 hours, allowing flexibility due to their time zone.
In conclusion, adapting to a virtual workplace has become a significant trend in business. A virtual team is defined as dispersed members, either geographically or organizationally, with their primary communication through electronic means, as opposed to face-to-face communication. Management concepts of virtual teams can also be utilized within a more traditional workplace. Virtual team usage has become a more recent trend in today’s marketplace.
Beach, R. B. (2019). The virtual divide: Tackling your challenges of leading in a virtual world. Virtual Publishing.
Collier, D. A, & Evans, J. R. (2019). Operations and supply chain management. Cengage Learning.
Johnson, S. B. (1997). Three approaches to big technology: Operations research, systems engineering, and project management. Technology and Culture, 38 (4), 891–919. https://doi.org/10.2307/3106953
Project Management Institute (PMI). (2017). A guide to project management body of knowledge (PMBOK guide) (6th ed.). https://www.pmi.org
Reddy, C. (n.d.) Virtual teams: Meaning, Types, advantages & disadvantages
We’ll write everything from scratch
Before beginning work on this assignment,
Read sections 8.0 and 8.2-8.4 in Chapter 8 of the required textbook, Operations and Supply Chain Management.
One of the significant trends in business is a move toward virtual workplaces. In a virtual team, members are dispersed, either geographically or organizationally, with their primary communication through electronic means, as opposed to face-to-face communication. Management concepts of virtual teams can also be utilized within a more traditional workplace.
Research and write a paper on the advantages and disadvantages of virtual teams in today’s digital environment.
In your paper,
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of virtual teams in today’s digital environment.
The Virtual Teams paper
- Must be four to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA StyleLinks to an external site. Resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Microsoft WordLinks to an external site.
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice links to an external site—Resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- You must use at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed, or credible sources besides the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site. The table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. Please contact your instructor if you have questions about whether a specific source suits this assignment. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular project.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this University of Arizona Global Campus Library Quick ‘n’ DirtyLinks to an external site. The tutorial introduces the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and the research process and provides library search tips.
- Must document any information from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your PaperLinks to an external site. Guide.
- Must include a separate references page formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References ListLinks to an external site—Resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading RubricLinks to an external site. For the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Have a similar assignment? "Place an order for your assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."